There’s no one uniform look for hipsters, but you know one when you see/smell one. In fact, the term has become so ubiquitous that it’s almost, dare we say, mainstream? Whatever “hipster” is these days, there are at least a few consistencies.
Their tastes are both cheap and pricey, they’re disdainful of the average, except when ironically enjoying the average, and their love for certain clothing brands runs deep.
For reasoning that the hipster is entirely self-aware of, a few brands stick out to him as ones that can’t be tossed aside even if they become mainstream. Along with the reliable standby accessories of tattoos and beards, these are The 5 Brands Hipsters Love.
- Fred Perry
- America Apparel
- Urban Outfitter
- Jeremy Scott
They may not want to admit it, but the average hipster’s closet is at least 35% Urban Outfitter and American Apparel. From the tees to the hoodies to the tube socks, this one brand essentially created the hipster archetype that anyone could hop onto. All it took was a trip to whatever mall the nearest AA was in, throwing down a few bucks, and voila, you can express your authentic individuality while looking like everyone else.
Hipsters are having the time of their lives this year, from the streets of Cairo, the Suburbs of Tunisia, the Squares of Madrid to Occupy Wall Street protestors.
It seems the world is having a hipster outbreak of great proportions. It seems to me that hipsters of the world have more than rage at bankers and politicians in common:
- Skinny Jeans seems to be the national uniform of hipsters wherever you go. Nothing screams louder that you are a hipster as much as those skinny jeans. Go ahead and tell me how much you paid for them, no I won’t be surprised. Messenger bags that come with a really long story.
- The whole T-shirt, ribbons, and wrist bands activism is getting old, no one cares about what worthy cause you support now. And do not think of sending me a Facebook invite to join a cause either.
- Fair trade diamonds. It’s great that you saw that Leonardo DiCaprio movie about diamonds, but do not drive your spouse insane about your unreasonable demands.
- A subscription to Netflix with at least 4 documentaries in your queue, a Hulu subscription where you catch the latest episode of your all-time favorite show Modern Family/Mad Men since you are too broke to have a cable.
- Vintage photos and pictures of some old ethnic guy smoking a hookah, a pipe or drinking that south American mate.
Bonus underground music made by people wearing skinny jeans and look like they don’t care.
Thrift Shops, if you build them, they will come.
Source: Reservoir Shop